Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Value of Memories (me on my soap box again)

As a photographer my work is in capturing the fleeting moment and making it last forever. Most of the moments I capture will never happen again. Wether it is a family portrait session on the lakefront, a young mans 13th birthday, a young woman's quinceaƱera or cotillion, senior photos, an engagement, wedding, anniversary or just a day someone wants to remember, those moments only come once. When I look through the camera I anticipate and wait for them to happen, I stage them, create them, push and pull them out of people to capture something that will live forever.

I shoot all types of events and moments. From time to time during a consultation or just a side conversation I will get asked the ever popular question. Why are photographers so expensive? I have the heart of a teacher so I do my best in these moments to find the opportunity to educate a friend, acquaintance client or perfect stranger who could easily become one of the other three. Photography is a combination of artistry and technical skill. Some of my fellow photographers cringe when I make my plumber analogy but it makes the most sense to people. Pretty much anybody can turn a wrench and measure the length of a pipe and put together the pieces of a simple puzzle. For those simple jobs it's always very possible to do the work yourself. You can probably muster your way through changing your shower head or putting new knobs on the faucet. Now imagine if you will a new bathroom jacuzzi tub, steam shower, lovely fixtures and all. You want it done right so who do you call, the plumber. Why, because they have the expertise needed to get the job done right. 


Now imagine its your wedding every moment that happens only happens once. There is only one chance to catch the look on his face as you walk down the aisle, the moment you place the rings on each others fingers, that first kiss the first time you dance together as husband and wife that silly moment when he (even though you both swore you wouldn't) rubs the cake in your face. Ten, twenty, thirty years from now where will you go to reminisce about the moments. The food is gone, the decorations are gone, ......... oh wait the photo album, or maybe the wedding video. Thats where we go to relive those special moments. Surprisingly the very most lasting record of this once in a lifetime event is the one thing that so many people leave to chance. 


Guess what we are only in the place and stage of life were in for the moment. It is ever changing. Like a dandelion in the wind we are always moving off to a new adventure. So stop take a moment and capture what you can and if its really important get someone who can beautifully capture what you want to keep forever.


Before you know it your precious little peekaboo baby will be graduating high school, off to college, in love and engaged to be married. Life happens fast. Make the memories lat forever and make them beautiful. Understand the value of those memories and the ability to look back on them as an investment in the life you cherish so dearly :)


Ok enough of my soap box. Live your life and love it .



1 comment:

  1. OMG. That's exactly why I shoot. Exactly. Thanks for the soap box session.

    ReplyDelete